Trade roles with QBuild
As a tradesperson with QBuild you just don’t have a job – you have an opportunity to be part of a department that’s committed to helping people all over Queensland. QBuild tradespeople are among the first responders in supporting local communities in the event of a disaster and cover a range of works from maintenance services to large scale capital projects.
There are a variety of trades to choose from:
- refrigeration mechanic
We are committed to creating an inclusive culture that promotes the skills and insights of our people irrespective of gender, ethnicity, age, or disability.
The mandatory requirements for these roles are:
- current trade qualification
- the appropriate Queensland licence (Licensed trades electrical, mechanical, plumbing)
- current Workplace Health and Safety General Safety Induction Card
- current, valid Queensland "C" class driver’s licence or equivalent
- working knowledge and compliance with current work health, safety and environmental legislation and codes of practice.
You will be assessed how you:
- provide quality training and act as a mentor to apprentices at all year levels
- prioritise projects and tasks efficiently in line with team commitments
- demonstrate personal responsibility for the health, safety and wellbeing of yourself and others, including an understanding of compliance with handling asbestos
- actively seek feedback and modify your approach to enhance own effectiveness
- build effective working relationships with team members with a strong customer focus
- demonstrate proficiency in office and email applications such as Microsoft Word or Outlook and input data using the computer or hand-held electronic devices (e.g. iPad, smartphone)
- perform the full spectrum of tasks within the trade, including both construction and maintenance services.
Salary and allowances
We pay a competitive salary for tradespeople (depending on industry experience and qualifications) plus superannuation and allowances. On employment you will be classified based on your level of skills. You will have further opportunities for higher classification as you develop more skills as required for your job.
The classification range is Level 4 to 10.
Your take home pay each fortnight will be made up of your base salary plus your SFP (your minimum wage) and claimable allowances you are entitled to.
Base salary range
The annual base salary is between $2222.60 to $2817.80 per fortnight.
This is based on a full-time, annual arrangement which does not include employer superannuation contributions (up to 12.75%) and 17.5% annual leave loading.
Single fortnightly payment
In addition to your base salary, you will receive a trade-specific fortnightly allowance called a Single Fortnightly Payment (SFP) which is approximately $160 to $300 per fortnight.
Other claimable allowances
You may also be eligible to claim the following allowances in certain circumstances:
- distant work (meal and incidental)
- working in the rain
- on-call and call-out
- remote work
- unpleasant conditions
- overtime meals
- weekend work
- excess kilometres
- First Aid
- motor vehicle drawing trailers
- divisional and district parities
- leading hand.
More information can be found in section 3.6 Allowances and payments in the QBuild Field Staff Certified Agreement 2019
You will be provided with uniforms, personal protective equipment (PPE) and tools for work. You may also have access to a QBuild vehicle to perform your work.
You may be required to undertake duties within your trade at worksites throughout both your appointed region and throughout the state. When undertaking distant work (work away from your usual base), there may also be a requirement for overnight stays of up to a 3-week period.
The Queensland Government website outlines leave entitlements.
QBuild will also contribute $25 per fortnight additional employer superannuation to your QSuper or nominated superannuation fund account.
Your ordinary working hours as a full-time QBuild tradesperson is 8 hours and 26 minutes per day, worked over a nine-day fortnight, between 6:00am and 6:00pm, Monday to Friday.
In working these hours, you will accrue and have access to one rostered day off (RDO) each two-week period.
- Last updated:
- 8 October 2021