Project updates about the Cairns Convention Centre upgrade
Works are underway on the Cairns Convention Centre, expansion and refurbishment.
Snapshot as at 19 March 2021
- 85 subcontracts have been awarded
- 60 of these awarded to local businesses
- 675 onsite workers inducted, 554 are local
Note: This figure fluctuates based on the stage of the projectand is influenced by the availability of skilled workers locally. Where possible, subcontractors are encouraged to employ local workers.
Stunning new designs detail now available
The latest architectural designs for the new-look Cairns Convention Centre have just been released, revealing for the first time an impressive interior bathed in sunlight and stunning sky deck overlooking Trinity Inlet.
Long lead specialist items
From cheering on the Cairns Taipans to playing host to Australian and international conference guests, the new-look Cairns Convention Centre will make the most of state-of-the-art specialist equipment to create a space that can be used for performances, art exhibitions, and conferences.
These long lead time items, only available for manufacture outside of Queensland, will transform the Centre:
- Innovative retractable seating from an internationally renowned manufacturer will create a truly flexible space, ready for anything. Similar retractable seating is already in place in Arsenal Football Club, the Royal Albert Hall, the BBC and the State Netball Centre.
- High-tech operable walls which are globally recognised for their design flexibility and acoustic performance. Each wall panel weighs 615kg, the same as a Giant Queensland Groper. Six containers were shipped from the USA, if each panel was laying flat and joined, they would nearly be the length of Trinity Beach (1.32km)
- World class chillers which will power reliable, tailored humidity and temperature control for the tropical north. The chillers will keep the Centre at a cool 23 degrees - equivalent to the average minimum temperature in Cairns. The 13740 kg operating weight of the large chiller is approximately half the size of an adult humpback whale. The 5.5m length of the large chiller is the equivalent to the length of local Green Island celebrity croc Cassius.
- Last updated:
- 30 March 2021