Documents available for download
- 6-month implementation report as at 31 March 2023 (PDF, 368.38 KB)
- 90-day action plan report card (PDF, 424.22 KB)
- Government’s response including the 90-day plan (PDF, 2944.18 KB)
- Independent review into the QBCC by Jim Varghese (PDF, 2173.67 KB)
- Reference documents used in the review process (PDF, 24160.11 KB)
- Terms of reference (PDF, 352.61 KB)
- Lead reviewer Jim Varghese was inundated with strong views and suggestions for improvement throughout the four-month review.
- The Review Report acknowledges the regulator performs a wide range of functions, across a large and varied industry and that Government’s nationally have asked building industry regulators to do more in an increasingly complex environment.
- Mr Varghese comments about the importance of avoiding politicisation of the QBCC and of focusing on implementing the Review Report recommendations for change.
- He noted the significance of creating and maintaining the momentum for effective change and to address the gap between where we are now and where the QBCC aspires to be as an outcomes-focused statutory agency.
I recently led an independent review into the governance arrangements of the Queensland Building and Construction Commission or the QBCC.
The objective was to ensure the governance of the QBCC is contemporary, fit for purpose and reflects best practice.
The recommendations I have presented in the final report provide specific actions to address the gap between where we are now, and where the QBCC aspires to be as an outcomes-focused statutory agency.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the consultation process. Your honest, candid, and insightful feedback has been critical to the success of this activity.
We will all benefit from a strong building and construction industry which is the third largest sector of the Queensland economy and the third largest employer.
Independent reviewer Mr Jim Varghese reflects upon the review process and the importance of a strong building and construction industry for all Queenslanders.
- Last updated:
- 12 December 2023