Building and construction developer review
Public consultation for the Developer Review has now closed.
The Developer Review Panel are considering the feedback received, and developing their final report.
The Developer Review Panel (the Panel) has been appointed under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991 (QBCC Act) to conduct a review of the role of developers in the building and construction industry. The review follows industry feedback about the important role of developers, and the need to examine the impact of their financial and operational capacity, ethical behaviours and work practices.
The remit of the Panel is to:
- advance the work already done by the Queensland Government to support security of payment in the building and construction industry; and
- consider the impact developers have on the quality and safety of design, construction and certification of buildings and other work practices.
Role of the Panel
The Panel is guided by its Terms of Reference (PDF, 499.23 KB), as well as its workplan and stakeholder engagement plan. These plans outline,
- the key areas of focus for the review
- how the Panel has defined ‘development activity’ to inform the scope of the review
- how the Panel will communicate and consult with industry and the community
- the timing for the Panel’s activities.
Ms Alison Quinn – Chair
Alison is a professional non-executive director with more than 25-years’ experience as a chief executive officer and senior executive in the property development, aged-care and seniors’ sectors.
Through her roles with public, private and government organisations, Alison has developed valuable operational and commercial expertise in the areas of property investment, funding, infrastructure, and development. Alison has significant expertise on the impacts and challenges of Australia's ageing population and has been at the forefront of thought leadership to meet the housing, care and other service needs of the baby boomer generation.
Ms Gina Patrick – Member
As managing director of Plus Systems, Gina is passionate about raising the level of innovation, professionalism, and the quality of workmanship in the building and construction industry, to provide better quality buildings and reduce risk and rectification costs for both industry and consumers.
Having enjoyed a career in construction, manufacturing, and advising to businesses across many industries, Gina brings expertise in strategy, business performance, change management, financial performance, and legislation.
In addition to being a representative of multiple industry bodies, Gina if a former board member of the Fire Protection Association of Australia.
Mr John Payne – Member
John was a founding partner of Hall Payne in 1991 and is one of Queensland’s most experienced and respected industrial relations lawyers. John has spent 39-years advising unions and community organisations on their diverse legal needs.
John is experienced at drafting sophisticated employment instruments, contracts, merger agreements and operating agreements. He has also previously lectured in workplace health and safety law at QUT.
He is currently a Director of the Alzheimer’s Association of Queensland, Byron Aged Care Ltd and a board member of the Prostate Awareness Association, Queensland.
Industry Reference Group (IRG)
View the list of organisations
The Panel has and will continue to be supported by an Industry Reference Group (IRG), which comprises representatives from these organisations.
- Australian Institute of Building Surveyors
- Australian Institute of Architects
- Housing Industry Association
- Insurance Council of Australia
- Local Government Association of Queensland
- Master Builders Queensland
- Property Council of Australia
- Queensland Building and Construction Commission
- Queensland Council of Unions
- Queensland Law Society
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Urban Development Institute of Australia – Queensland
- Last updated:
- 29 March 2023